Saturday, May 24, 2008

Why I Teach - Spring 2008 Edition

Among all the other things going on this time of year, graduations are really special. I have had the privilege in the last two or three years to see my daughter, son, and wife graduate from college, and last month, my one-week-away-from-being-my-daughter-in-law too (see my other blog if you REALLY want the details!). But it is also really special when some of your students make the big transition, especially when the odds were long, and the situations were difficult. Yesterday I was in Sacramento to see one of my former students take the walk across the stage. It was a happy moment!

This is a geology blog, so I will point out that she graduated with a degree in geology. There is a grad school out there that will be lucky to have her in the program in a year or so, and later on, a company or school is going to have a very talented employee. Congratulations!


2 comments:

Kim said...

Some of those headdresses tell me which graduation is in that picture...

Garry Hayes said...

You have me there! I forgot my camera for the Sac State graduation, so I used a pic from your school last month. My daughter-in-law is in that sea of headdresses and morterboards...